Saturday 14 April 2012

Update - A post for Mummy.

It's been a while since I last blogged and in that time I have had various outings within the Fylde ringing and birding, most can be read about on my friend Seumus' blog "Fleetwood Birder", see link at side. I have however now left England for 8 months to work as Surveyor and Lead Bird ringer at Kvismaren Bird Observatory (until October) and later Lead bird ringer at Gedser Bird Obs in Denmark.

So I arrived in Sweden on the 12th April and already I'm getting stuck into the work! I am alone in the station at the moment but I have had a nice beginning to the season with a relaxed workload (for now) and lots of catching up with the birds and the neighbours.
At the moment the work is mainly surveys of the Wetland birds around the reserve and checking of the Starling boxes around the reserve. When other personell arrive however the workload multiplies many times over. A brief meeting with Bo (The Boss) revealed more about this years' surveys and I must say I am very excited to be involved in some hopefully ground breaking work.
For now though it's just a "I got here safely Mummy" and a few snaps from the first couple of days.
Nuthatch (Sitta europaea europaea) - Nest building outside the kitchen window.

Grass snake (Natrix natrix) mating, Female is the larger snake. 2 Males are squabbling to mate.

2 comments:

Phil Slade said...

Hi Craig
Sorry I missed seeing you in recent weeks - too busy ringing etc. Good luck for the coming season and see you in the autumn.

Craig Brookes said...

Hi Phil,

I'm sorry too, it all came about so quickly again so things were rushed at the end. Hope to get you on my year list next year too. Take care. Craig